Monitoring GAME plan Progress
This week’s assignment for Walden required that I look at assessment techniques (Forced option format, opened ended response formula, performance based assessment and project based assessment) that would be useful for the content areas in which we teach. We also had to connect these assessments to the use of technology.
In order for students to perform well in the content area it is important to have the assessment format in mind as this is the guide for the teacher in directing the learning of the student. I have used each form of assessment, and probably used forced assessment and open ended response more than the others. I think however if I am preparing my students for the 21st century that I really need to incorporate a lot more performance and project based assessment, especially in math. I think that the students do not see that in math there can be useful projects that can be applied to some of the content areas that they are learning. I see more applications of this in geometry than in algebra, but that is because I am just opening up to the possibilities.
My plans for the rest of this school year and especially during the summer months is to research and design more project and performance based learning activities for my algebra and geometry students as this is vital to for them to be able to succeed in the 21st century.
Resources
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach ( Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

My plans are similar to yours. I would also like to incorporate more project based assessment. I think this summer is a great time to work on those plans. You have to be realistic about making these changes and realistically we do not have the time during the school year to incorporate all of the changes we would like to. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYour geometry students will love to do projects. My advice is to develop the grading rubrics for the projects up front as you plan your projects... and also to spell out your expectations for the ethical use of online text and images and/ or assessment of the validity of any online resources they choose to use. Accountability is a 21st century skill not to be overlooked. :o)
ReplyDeleteResponse to Lorna
ReplyDeleteProject and performance based assessments may be hard to come up with for math. But, I think that applying the math to real world problems that the students can solve and present to the class may work well for this type of assessment. A lot of math is forced option format assessment with one right answer. For utilizing technology with the forced option format, clickers would be a great assessment tool. Do you use clickers? They are individual technological pieces that allow students to chose an answer from a variety of answers and the teacher is instantly able to see which students are correct and incorrect in their answers. Good luck in your research and designing of more project and performance based learning activities for your algebra and geometry students!
If there is one subject that has difficulty when it comes to project based learning it is math. I give you a lot of credit. I know day in and day out our students have to realize that math is of the utmost importance for their everyday lives. It would be interesting to see how your going to create a project based lesson for your class.
ReplyDeleteHi to All
ReplyDeleteThanks for your most useful comments. Rebecca i would have a lot of fun designing lessons where we can use the clicker in class. Unfortunately we do not.
Christine we definitely want ensure that students demonstrate accountability whenever they use materials form any source and we need to ensure that the students acknowledge their sources.
Trisha your response just reinforces what I realized while working on this weeks assignment that the way to go in designing math lessons for grades 10-12 in Algebra 1 and 2 is to have the assessment in mind and work towards the lesson.
Loads of great ideas guys.