Developing My Personal GAME Plan
The two indicators that I would select to strengthen my confidence and proficiency are:
· design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity
· demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations.
Goals:
· Learn more about the digital tools out there like Google sketch pad, flicker, wikis, how to develop web quests, use of concept maps and other resources that I can use to enhance learning especially in math.
· Learn more about web conferencing tools and how to incorporate them into an educational context that would be beneficial to my students.
Actions:
· Explore web quests, concept maps and Google sketch pad to see how these tools can be incorporated into any of the algebra 1, algebra 2 or geometry topics that I teach.
· Investigate the options that are available for web conferences over the internet (podcasting, video, Skype, webinars,weebly) and ensure that these tools are also accessible on the school computers.
Monitor
· Identify the features that are available for web questing, concept mapping and using the Google sketch pad noting the advantages and disadvantages of using these web tools. Are they easy to use and do they have features that readily lend themselves to the teaching of mathematics.
· Identify the features that are available for using the web conferencing tools and list the advantages and disadvantages of using any one of these tools (video, podcasting, etc) in any of my algebra or geometry lessons.
Evaluate
· For this section I would have to seek the input of my peers for both indicators and have them asses with me the usefulness of both indicators in the math classroom.
· Suggest ways that any of the tools mentioned above can be incorporated into a math lesson and then evaluate its effectiveness by the students approach to the lesson and how much was learned from it.
In developing this GAME plan I was very unsure how to set it up as related to math. I welcome any input from my classmates that would help to make this GAME plan more math friendly and efficient.
Resource
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009).Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Hi Lorna,
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow math teacher I think that all of the tools that you listed as your goals will be very beneficial to your teaching tool box. I was also going to incorporate math however I came up with a more general goal like you. One way that you could relate a goal to math is by taking one part of your goal like concept mapping and have the students make concept maps for each chapter and then when you complete the next chapter have the students link them and continue this on throughout the year. This could be a process that helps students see the connections between chapters and why they need to learn one topic before they can learn another. It also could be used as a great review before midterms or final exams.
Erin
Thanks Erin that is a great idea to have them create concept maps linking chapters. We often tell them that math builds upon itself what better way to demonstrate it than by having them create the maps so that they can see the connection.
ReplyDeleteLorna,
ReplyDeleteI like your idea of peer input in your evaluation phase. Think about having a peer observation of your implementation of a new tech- based lesson.
I also think you should take advantage of the online resources out there for math teachers to use. (Maybe over the summer or a break) you can scour the web for so many math podcasts to model and to find the online graphic organizer you like mos, even point kids to computer resources like purplemath.com
You have piqued my curiosity about Google Sketch Pad and Weebly. Now I am going to have to explore those, and I really want to go to bed!
ReplyDeleteI liked your GAME plan. I think these are two very important goals that any of us could work on. I do have a question, though. What is your student-to-computer ratio in your school? Will your students have access to laptops, or will you need to take a trip to the computer lab. You might want to address this in your plan.
I look forward to your next post.
Response to Ana and Nancy
ReplyDeleteI do take advantage of the online resources during the summer, but this course in Walden has introduced me to so much more, that I know I am going to be very busy researching all of these new resources.
To Nancy I have to take the students to the lab and they have one to one computers, no lap tops, wish we had though. In any event our servers are so slow that it makes doing a lot of activities more frustrating than fun. Like I have the students use this web graphing tool (http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_109_g_4_t_1.html?open=activities&from=grade_g_4.html), but it will not open on some computers and then for other computers it just does not work. Very frustrating. I will definitely have to think how to address that problem.
Thanks for all your great ideas and they certainly have been food for thought.