My GAME Plan Progress
I believe that so far my GAME plan for assessment is working. I have collected the Tangram project form the geometry students and from a total of 53 students only 40 students have turned in their project. I was not pleased with the number of students that completed the project, however those who did not turn in their project, are the ones who are hardly ever at school. Truancy is a big issue for most of our schools in the South Bend Area.
The rubric I designed on Rubistar (a great place to design your own rubric and include areas that you are looking for) worked very well in assessing the students participation and understanding of the concept of polygons, as well as some of their designs, that were very nice indeed. Next year when I have the students complete this project I am going to have them show case their work on a wiki page, or using voicethread along with their journal entry of their experience completing the project. I am still processing the idea of ways to make certain algebra topics more technology friendly, but this area is a little harder than geometry as algebra is more concrete and lends itself to equations rather than diagrams. Concept maps are a great idea for this area but I want more and will continue to search until I have achieved what I am looking for. Sadly I am not even sure what I am looking for, but pretty sure when I see it I will know.
Implementing and designing the GAME plan is a necessary step to planning the lesson for each content area in order to make the lesson the success I desire it to be. Learning all this has allowed me to try new and (I think) exciting activities with my students, but I will have to prune these activities over the summer for the upcoming school year.

It is good that you are already reflecting on your plan and finding ways to improve it. Good job.
ReplyDeleteLorna,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, when is math not "problem" based? :o)
I recommend trying the voicethread option. Students can draw, point to, and circle parts of their algebra problems as they explain their own solutions. What a great problem to pose students "How do we demonstrate that we understand a math concept?" Through your voicethread, demonstrate your understanding on ____ math concept.
Christine you always have such great ideas. Thanks so much for sharing. Having them do their reflections using voice thread is really a neat idea, I can see the wheels churning in my head already.
ReplyDeleteTrisha thank you so much for your encouraging words.