Friday, February 12, 2010

Revising Game Plan

This week I have been asked to:

Identify what I have learned so far that is applicable to my instructional practice?

I have been really busy online looking for lessons that are applicable to math and using problem based learning. If you have the time to search you will find lessons that can be adapted to your classes. Finding these new resources are great as I am not very creative and I become more creative as I am exposed to the creativeness of other individuals.


Goals I am currently working towards:

I am still collecting ideas and still attempting to introduce more technology based activities in all my math classes. I have struggled with the idea that I need to carry my laptop to school as it is the source for my classes here at Walden. I would hate for anything to happen to it, but my school is not very open to providing me with a onsite one to use in my classes, and that frustrates me. I find that the hierarchy at the school is really hard to get through, but I have started to carry my laptop and use power point to introduce topics and the students really enjoy this, I even think that they retain a lot more. So my goal is to keep this up, but be mindful of the cost to me if my laptop is damaged.

Based on NETS-T, what new learning goals will I set for myself?

My goals are to:
a. To continue to facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity by providing experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.

b. Design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity.

If I am not ready to set new learning goals, how will I extend what I have learned so far?

As I continue to search for ideas to incorporate new technologies and PBL into my lesson plans I have learned that it really takes commitment and time. During the school semester there is not enough time to do this. My plans are to use my time off from school (during spring break and summer) to continue to build my repertoire of lessons and to modify them so that it applies to our states content standards. Some of the activities that I have been introduced to I did use with some of my classes and the results were good and bad, but I believe with some minor changes it will continue to improve as time goes on.

What learning approaches will I try next time to improve my learning?

My desire is that our school corporation would have more in-service sessions for the math and science departments for our school district. However I was never one to wait on others to get the ball rolling. I like to continue learning because I love learning, and will continue to use the world wide web to advance and increase my learning experience so that I can be a better teacher in the 21st century class room. I believe that learning, and teaching has taken on a whole new scope and if I am unwilling to embrace these new changes I not only cripple my ability to adequately direct my students in their learning experience, but I also risk being frustrated because I am unable to reach the students entrusted in my care.







7 comments:

  1. I also do not have enough time to plan strong lessons now that the school year is started. I do try to spend an hour or so after my son goes to bed on Sunday evenings working on finding new lessons for my classroom. It is hard to implement good lessons if you don't have them! Have you found any good websites that have problem based lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Response to Lorna

    Your classroom does not have a teacher computer and projector? Could you talk with your district's technology director or someone in charge of the computers in your district in order to explain your need? Maybe even talk with your principal. That's crazy that you have to bring in your own personal computer for work and risk it being damaged or stolen.

    I also like seeing what others have come up with for lessons in their classrooms. It helps me to come up with cool lessons and I often build off of what I see online. For example, Artsonia.com provides art lesson plans and I often use the images it provides to show students and we build off of the lessons and add new parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response to Lorna,

    I think that you must be a very proactive teacher because some teachers would just wait for their district to tell them to learn the new technologies that can be used in class. I get constant emails from our county resources Wayne RESA (in Wayne Michigan). They are constantly emailing me about seminars that they will pay for as professional development (they also pay for the sub that you will need). Possibly your area has something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorna,

    I also look online to come up with creative ideas for lesson plans. I want to create lesson plans that are educational and fun for the studnets, but it is often hard to find the great ideas that give you those types of lessons. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorna to Rebecca

    It is ridiculous I know that I have to carry my own computer to class, but the vibes I get working in that environment are not good. I did as at the beginning of the semester for a laptop for my classes as I do not have a room and have to use a cart to get from class to class and the tech person was very rude and uncooperative so I just did not ask again. I started carrying in laptop, but stopped, and just recently began again and I just love what I am able to do with it and the students really appreciate it as well so I am going to be very careful, but continue to carry it to school.
    Thanks for your concern, it is really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorna to Erin

    I am pretty close to you as I am in Indiana, but our school district does not offer seminars or maybe I am so new I have not received any notification.
    The school I was at before, did have seminars that they would pay for us to attend, but hose were few and far between.
    I am not worried as I have the internet and will use it ferociously.

    Lorna to Shauna
    Like Shauna I am an avid searcher of the web too, but like Shauna I search online. Unfortunately Shauna PBL is a new search for me and so I have not had the time to go searching as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorna to Trisha

    I know it is hard to find fun lesson plans but I am happy to get some ideas, that form a spring board for me and I just modify the activity and use it.
    Good luck to you as well

    ReplyDelete