Monday, February 15, 2010

Using the Game Plan with Students

Planning this unit & lesson plan to corporate social networking and then thinking about incorporating digital storytelling has been very instructional. It was very hard for me to think of how to set up a lesson plan for social networking. In addition I was unable place some of the resource materials into my lesson plan resource section and had to have them as an attachment. I really do not like doing that as there are times when I do not know if I will remember where it is saved, so it would be easier to have it in the plan.

The other problem I faced was how to structure the lesson to include all the resources and then have the students represented their work and experiences on an “educational networking site.” I did however enjoy the challenge to try to figure out what to do and how to get the students engaged in the activity.

This class project for Walden has really been an eye opener as it made me realize even more fully that to organize the technology activities for Math (especially) requires a lot of thought and preparation and therefore time. I think I will have to maintain that for the upcoming school year (2010-2011 provided I am still employed with all the upcoming cuts to the education budget), to develop one activity per unit per subject, as opposed to per chapter in order to really do a good job in each subject area. I think with this in mind I will be able to devote more time to each activity and really think about the small detail that would affect the smooth transition through each section of the activity.

4 comments:

  1. My eyes have been opened as well! I understand what you mean about how organized you have to be when incorporating technology into your lessons. It does require a lot of thought and preparation to find appropriate and worthwhile resources. It is also important to have a back up plan and to schedule your time well. There is so much to take into consideration in a regular lesson when you incorporate another element, such as technology, the outcome can be very worthwhile and even more effective if properly prepared. I am with you and would like to devote more time to this in the upcoming school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But although it requires time isn't just so exciting to think of the possibilities and the new directions that learning takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your planning goals for next year. What kind of cuts is your district facing next year? I feel your pain. I currently read in the paper (yeah, I know, what a way to find out!), that our district will be laying off 300 employees next year. I, too, am worried about my job next year. Hopefully, I will get to plan lessons with all I have learned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our district is planning to freeze salaries and I am not sure if they are also planning to lay off teachers. I think they are waiting to finalize their budget talks before letting that cat out of the bag.
    Best of luck to you and I am praying that you will not be one of those who are cut from the district staff.

    ReplyDelete